Why is that any time a phone number is mentioned or referred to in a movie it is always 555-XXXX? Have you ever wondered about this? Well I do. Apparently here in the U.S. according to Wikipedia there is a specific range reserved for fictional use. I didn't know that. Wikipedia never ceases to amaze me. This 555 (telephone number) post states that 555-0100 through 555-0199 are reserved for basically nothing. Which I guess is why movies use them.


555 Phone Numbers
I don't know who would be tempted to call a number based on what they see in a movie, but maybe there are some people out there that would. So the use of 555 phone numbers that do absolutely nothing would make sense. However, after a little google searching I found a page that refers to 555 numbers that were used in movies that fall out of the reserved fictional use range here: (555-List). Exactly how accurate it is who knows.

I have never been tempted to call one of the numbers mentioned in a movie. I just wish one time a movie would use something other than 555-Something.